In recent years, online business has grown to great extent, which is evident from some financial statistics and records. For example, in 2012, the widespread online business grew to $1 trillion, which was 21.1% higher, as compared to previous years mark. Also, it is expected that the number of people using online shopping will grow to 175 million by 2016. The growth reported in online sales in recent years is 8% of the total retail sales, as per the financial data.
To boost-up e-commerce industry sales, there are some platforms that are best used as e-commerce platforms. These e-commerce platforms are open source platforms and can be easily customized. All these platforms are discussed in detail below:
- Magento: It is a powerful, cost-effective and flexible e-commerce platform, used by maximum number of businesses (approx. 150,000) around the world. This e-commerce platform was launched in the year 2008, and is developed by Varien, which is now known as Magento Inc. Most of the popular brands use this platform to boost their online business. This open source platform contains all superior features to boost-up your online business, like catalog management, shopping cart, search, checkout and administration functions. It also allows businesses to adjust certain existing features and to add new features.
- OsCommerce: It is one of the oldest open source platforms in e-commerce industry, started in the year 2000. This open source platform is an online store management software program, used for approx. 13,000 websites. This open source platform is free to download, can be hosted from anywhere, and offers free and premium templates. It also allows for customer and order management from the admin dashboard.
- OpenCart: It is an unparalleled and highly protected open source shopping cart system, which allows stores to establish their own online business smoothly and economically. Any web server, who is having PHP and MySQL, can utilize OpenCart. It is the new discovered platform among the 5 popular open source e-commerce platforms, and offers multiple choices for tax payment in different countries.
- Zen Cart: This online store management system is developed in the year 2012, and is quite similar to OsCommerce. Using Zen Cart, online retailers can get large number of customer management and promotional tools that include coupon codes, gift certificates, newsletter manager, discount and sale rules, automatic email order confirmation, to name a few. Apart from this, Zen Cart has numerous helpful adapters that help you to develop and manufacture your shop and admin area.
- WordPress: This open source platform was originally designed in the form of a blogging platform; but thereafter, it has turned into a powerful and easily modifiable CMS system, having a wide range of plugins. These plugins help businesses to transfer their site into an online shop or store.