With the increase in the usage of the Internet, the number of hackers has also significantly increased. Therefore, for every type of business, website security is one of the biggest challenges.
An insecure website is potential threat to business as well as its customers. If there is any flaw in the security of a website, any important data present on the website can be easily hacked, damaged or altered. As a result of this, the brand value and the integrity of any business get adversely affected. Security threats can come in different forms, like hacking of customer’s personal information, transmitting malware to the sites, crashing of website, stealing of debit/credit card information, etc. For a company, getting advanced and highly reliable website security services is important to keep valuable information safe and protected always.
Here are some useful tips through which security of a website can be enhanced.
- Update Software: There are a number of websites that make compromises every day because of the outmoded and unsafe software used to manage them. It is extremely important for any business to keep its website software up-to-date. Most of the hackers use automated techniques to hack sites. Also, there are bots that constantly scan websites for exploitation opportunities. So, it is undoubtedly important to update website on regular basis.
- Password Protection: To keep your website away from the reach of the hackers, it is necessary to keep it protected from a strong password. Choose a password that is strong enough not to be identified by the hackers. While choosing a password, it is necessary to follow three things: complexity, length and uniqueness.
- Make User Access Sensible: This is applicable to those websites that have multiple logins. They need to make sure that every user has the right permission, required to do the job. If any user requires high-degree of permission for a moment, grant it; but then reduce it once the job gets done. Also, make sure that every user has separate account. This makes it easy for you to keep an eye on the user behavior.
- Separate Place for Every Site: Keep every website distinct from each other on a server. This will help in keeping other websites protected, if one website gets infected by attackers.
- CMS Settings: In today’s setup, CMS applications are terrible for end users from security point of view. Most of the internet attacks rely completely on the default settings, used for CMS applications. This simply means to avoid most of the attacks, it is necessary to change the default CMS settings.
- Website Backups: Keeping backup of the website is extremely important; but, try to avoid making backups on your web server as this can be a major security risk.
- Know Your Server Configuration Files: Knowing your server configuration files is important. Different web servers use different files, like Apache web servers use the .htaccess file, Nginx servers use conf, and Microsoft IIS servers use web.config. All these files are very powerful, and allow you to execute server rules that significantly augment your website security.