Graphic design is a visual communication process, which involves the use of space, type and image. It often includes both the designing process (through which communication is created), and the design products that are being created. Some of the common uses of graphic design include
- Identity (branding and logos)
- Print advertisement
- Publications (books, magazines and newspapaers)
- Web graphics and elements, and
- Product packaging
For all these types of graphics, designers use some tools and software. These graphic design software make visual representation more effective and help in coordinating images. If a designer wants to provide valuable work with good visuals, he/she needs to use these design tools and software. Although graphic design software changes with time and advances in technology, yet it is necessary for a designer to keep-up with the new and updated software.
Best Graphic Design Software
- Adobe Photoshop: It is one of the most popular design software, without a doubt, and is widely used by designers to make images better and appealing. It is developed and published by Adobe Systems. Designers can use this software to edit and compose raster images in numerous layers. Moreover, it supports alpha compositing, masks and various color models that include CMYK, duotone, RGB and lab color space.
- CorelDraw: It is one of the best software for vector graphics. It is designed and developed by Corel Corporation of Ottawa, and is used to edit 2-dimensional images, like posters and logos. Designers can also use this software to conveniently edit and resize images. It runs on different Windows platform. X7 is the current version of CorelDraw, which was released in the year 2014.
- Adobe InDesign: It is basically a desktop publishing software application, and is used to create books, posters, newspapers, flyers, brochures and magazines. It is developed and marketed by Adobe Systems. It can also be used to publish content for tablet devices. For creating e-books and digital publications, the software supports export to EPUB and SWF formats. It also supports XML, style sheets and other coding markup.
- Flash CS3: It secures prime place when it comes to vector software programs. It is commonly used to develop dynamic websites, videos and games. It is extensively used by professional graphic designers to create remarkable web pages.
- QuarkXPress: It is suitable for complex layout systems. It is developed and published by Quark, Inc., and runs on Windows and Mac OS X. This design software can easily mix associated images with content. It is most commonly used by individual designers and big publishing houses to create variety of layouts.